Friday, August 24, 2012

"Enchiladas"

I put enchiladas in quotes because this recipe probably goes against most traditional recipes. But do not judge, friends! They were delicious :) And *gasp* healthy.....surprised? Nah, I knew you wouldn't be.
Ingredients (sorry all, you know I don't do exact amounts. Rachel Ray always says "eyeball it" and that's the best way to go in my opinion.)

- Red Enchilada sauce (just a can or bottle of whatever, I got mine from Whole Foods but whatever floats YOUR boat is great)
- 1 small Zuchinni (this one was from my parent's garden, I'm a lucky girl, I know)
- 1 small yellow squash (also homegrown!)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (farmer's market)
- 1 red bell pepper (same)
- 1/2 a red onion (or more if you want, but I don't love onions)
- Soyrizo (just adds that extra YUM)
- Garlic clove
- Whole wheat flour tortillas
- Cheese (I used monterey jack, pepper jack would have been amaaazing)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, just to saute everything up

So I heated some EVOO, then threw in the onions and garlic. After they were soft I threw in the soyrizo and the rest of the veggies. Meal on it's own, really, but I wanted to get a bit fancier. ALSO REALLY IMPORTANT! Don't overcook these, I love love LOVE the way my mom's veggies are always still a little crunchy and not soggy. To me, soggy veggies might just be the worst thing ever. Honestly I think a lot of people get turned off by veggies because it's so common to have overcooked, flavorless or too salty veggies. Just, STOP! They are so much better when they still taste fresh. (There are exceptions, like soups of course, but in this case, don't overcook these)


I love these casserole dishes, from my mom, just cute and vintage-y. And they will last me forever. So I put in some sauce. Keep in mind I don't know if this is correct, I just wanted to avoid any extra oil if I could!


I got my whole wheat tortillas ready, sprinkle some cheese in there (skipped the frying stage for obvious reasons, too much oil and too much work. I still have burn marks from the last time I tried to fry tofu.)


Don't ask me why I took the pic that long ways. I was in a rush. Anyway, then throw in some sauce and some of the veggie mix.


These would make great tacos on their own, with some beans, lettuce and salsa. But we aren't done yet!


Awwww they are kinda cute! All nestled up. I thought I took a picture of them drenched in sauce and with more cheese on top but I guess I forgot. Just picture it in your head :) Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes and OMGGGG cheesy veggie mess. Awesome. 


I drove these over to the boyfriends house, longest car ride ever! But worth the wait, even he said so :)


"F'ing great" -Alex 


There you have it, friends. OH! By the way, I'm a yoga teacher now, so expect some changes around these parts! 

Love and Yoga,
-Sharon Jeanette 



2 comments:

  1. Hey Princess, now you're talking! This looks good!
    Next time you visit, I'll buy the ingredients...
    Hint, hint.....
    BTW, when are you visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Makes me hungry (even without the chicken)

    ReplyDelete