Saturday, December 1, 2012

Alex's Pre-Spartan Race Lasagna

I know I've made lasagna before, but this one is better. So I don't care :) I'd blog lasagna everyday if I could!

Tomorrow the boyfriend is running in the Spartan race. Is he crazy? Probably. Am I going to watch? YES!

So to help him carboload before the big event, I made lasagna (his fave). Only whole wheat. With veggies. Mmmmm.

Ingredients:
Whole wheat, no boil lasagna noodles
Grated Mozzarella cheese
Skim-Ricotta
About 2 cups veggies (I used mushrooms and yellow squash. Why? They were in the fridge)
About 2 cups spinach (optional)
About 1 cup Morningstar veggie crumbles
Marinara Sauce (whatever kind you'd like)
1/2 onion
Garlic
Olive Oil (surprise, surprise)
Butter, dairy or vegan, doesn't matter because this recipe isn't vegan, but I prefer vegan butter. 
About a tablespoon of pesto (I threw this in last minute so it isn't pictured, sorry!)

Preheat oven to 450. Then gather your ingredients.


Heat up the butter and Olive Oil


Chop up onion and garlic...






Throw in to heat up, this is always my favorite part because it smells sooooooo good.


Chop up veggies..quick! You can do this earlier, but I like the suspense..



When super fragrant, throw these in too. And the morningstar crumbles. Stir for a few minutes, then put in spinach. And Pesto.






Maybe I'm a cheater because this makes everything delicious, shhhh.

Back to the cooking!



Warm until barely wilted. Barely.


Take off heat. Start layering up! Little bit of Olive Oil at the bottom and then noodles, then sauce.





Veggies.




Cheeseyyyyy





Continue until out of veggies, I don't want to say how many times because maybe your pan is wider than mine. I don't know. Finish up with cheese on top!





See you later, gorgeous! Bake for 40 minutes, covered, then uncover and bake for another 20. Oh boy.


The lighting isn't that great, but here it is plated, with a glass of sparkling apple cider (can't drink before running a race!)



This is my way of wishing the very best of luck to my crazy love in the Spartan Race tomorrow!
(By the way, I got the Spartan stamp of approval!)


From my heart, to yours!

-Sharon Jeanette


No comments:

Post a Comment