Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cashew "Cheese", and nachos and pizza :)

I've been dying to make Cashew Cheese since I had Vegan Nachos with it at Real Food Daily in Santa Monica....but I was hesitant! Happy to say, it came out super good and definitely made some satisfactory nachos. And then delicious pizza. Later this week, I want to make ravioli, but that's a different post altogether ;)

Cashew Cheese
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Raw Cashew Pices (cheaper than the whole ones)
Enough water to just cover them
Pinch of black pepper
1 Clove Garlic, finely minced
1 tsp Salt
 
 
 
Soak cashews in water for 2 hours. Using a food processor, blend them with about 1/3 cup of the water used to soak them, adding the salt, pepper and garlic as you go. Blend for about 5 minutes, until creamy. Let sit for at least 1 day, maybe 2, then refrigerate and it's good for about a week. Can be spread on crackers, used on flatbread, eaten with veggies, the possibilities are endless.
 
 
For the nachos I just stacked some corn chips with beans (just made in water with some garlic and salt), salsa, avocado, and the "cheese". Delicious.
 
 
Just warm them up in the oven for a few minutes.
 

 
I used the "cheese" on some pizza, premade dough (the one I bought had honey, which I will stop eating soon, but I'm easing into the vegan thing), and I skipped the tomato sauce and added mushrooms, spinach, and chopped garlic. This would be amazing with some olives or marinated artichoke hearts to add some extra saltiness and flavor.
 
 
That's all, folks. Don't be intimidated by the name "raw cashew cheese", this was fairly cheap (I went to a small farmers market), and fairly easy to make. Now that I have a food processor, I'm unstoppable :) Next time, Vegan Pesto!
 
From my heart, to yours, be well! <3 font="">

No comments:

Post a Comment